Sunday, March 25, 2012

Slip Away


We live in a world were we keep our iPhones within a radius of 2 feet from us at all times, know the latest popular uneducational saying on The Jersey Shore, and where we are able to Google ANYTHING with a simple swipe of a finger or click of a mouse. This world is hectic; throw in your actual face-to-face social time, family, friends, extra curricular activities and college, then you have one busy life.

One way to escape this crazy life, or at least take a step back and breathe, is to simply forget these things. For me, my family owns a cabin in the middle of nowhere, with no cell phone reception (tragic I know), no internet (Facebook?!) and no working cable (how will I know who won The Voice??). Basically you just sit there. At least when I was younger that is what I thought. My sister and I would beg and beg our parents for cable and Internet and every time they said, “No. One day you will appreciate this.”

And it’s always aggravating to admit that your parents were right… but yes, yes they were.

Now when we go to “The Cabin,” it’s a mini vacation. I don’t have to worry about checking my phone for a text or an email. I don’t have to keep checking the clock to make sure I don’t miss a new episode of New Girl.

Even though there is separation anxiety from my phone for about an hour after we get there, that slowly dissolves and relaxation happens. I read a book, go on hikes to the river, ride the new quads my parents just purchased (SO FUN), nap, and even the inner artist in me comes out and I paint or draw.

Being able to escape reality and focuses on yourself and not worry about what everyone on Facebook is doing, allows you to calm down. This world is run by fast pace people where we follow just as quick, and we all need is a little wilderness in the middle of nowhere fix.

So next time you need an escape, or someone (like my parents) think you need a reality check, find somewhere you can run away too.  

You should probably do this. 


1 comment:

  1. I think your family should invite me to use this cabin. I think they should probably do that :)

    ReplyDelete